Sunday, February 17, 2013

Breather


Nine to five jobs have a beginning and an end. You start at nine and you end at five. When you do graphic design or work from your home in general the perameters tend to get a little blurry. There is a constant flow of work that needs to be accomplished and new deadlines. And when you aren't working its like a cloud that follows you reminding you that you have things to get done. Hours turn to days, days to weeks, weeks to months, and months to years and you start to feel your life is one big deadline.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining at all, I am blessed to have work. And nine to five jobs definitely have their drawbacks. Though it is necessary to recognize the nature of your work so that you can find balance.

Today I am actively choosing to have a Sabbath. I realize that I am creating by making this blog post. But I am making this post with no urgency of a deadline and I am creating for the joy of creating not based on neccessity. I worked diligently this past week in order to make it possible to have today off. That doesn't mean I don't have things waiting for me on Monday, but those things can wait.

I have always valued Sabbaths and have even taught lessons on it, but there are seasons in your life where you feel you are playing catch up and it is more difficult to practice rest. I've been reminded by several people this past week the importance of rest and the sermon spoken at church this morning was on the subject of work and finding identity apart from your work. I have several thoughts on the Sabbath and what it is and what it isn't and that isn't the point of this post today. Rather it is a declaration that I am limited and need to draw on the power of G-d to continue this week.

It is when a pond is at rest that you can see the bottom of it and examine its contents, may my Sabbaths be more than not working.  

No comments: