Saturday, November 17, 2012

NATIVE

The last couple of years I have spent my Thanksgiving Celebration here in Los Angeles, sharing turkey and mashed potatoes with about 100 international students. Usually when thinking of the first Thanksgiving I associate more with the Pilgrims rather than the Native Americans because I am as white as they come. Though I guess in this situation, I feel like the native sharing my culture with someone new. It's always exciting for me to share something new with someone even if it is something simple or ordinary to me, it brings new life to the situation. I can share stories of Thanksgivings of the past and talk about family traditions, while hearing about their lives and their traditions.

This year we are doing things a bit differently, we are celebrating Thanksgiving with our international friends early, today in fact, and will be able to visit our families for the actual holiday. I feel like I get the best of both worlds. What's even more exciting is that not all my family knows I will be coming and I hope to surprise them (and for once, I hope my family isn't reading this because it would most definitely spoil the surprise.)

So stay tuned for International Thanksgiving updates and Kansas updates and all sorts of updates.

Hope all is going well with you.

xoxo
r

This is the promotional flyer I made for our event today.

No comments: