Monday, September 17, 2012

Leaning Tower of Pizzelles

A few years ago my mom gave me an old waffle iron. When making waffles once I realized the iron plates come out, not only do they come out but they have pizzelle iron imprints on the other side and a pizzelle setting on the switch. I've been meaning to make pizzelles ever since the discovery but never found the right time to do it.

The other day I was craving something sweet and decided to fire up the ol' iron. The batter was oh so delicious, I know, I know, there are raw eggs in the batter, but there was vanilla and sugar in there too and I had no other choice.


If you have never had pizzelles...mine tastes like sweetened waffle cones that have been flattened, the same amount of sweetness as a fortune cookie. I love waffle cones so these couldn't be more perfect for me.
Collect all four!
Getting the right amount of batter per circle and determining the correct time took some practice, there were a couple batches that didn't turn out so great. Though many of them were perfectly crisp and just the right shade. I would love to dip them in chocolate, make a chocolate batter sometime, or perhaps just spread nutella on it or something. Mmmmm... don't judge, it isn't nice.

  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

  1. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick. Stir in the melted butter and vanilla. Sift together the flour and baking powder, and blend into the batter until smooth.
  2. Heat the pizzelle iron, and brush with oil. Drop about one tablespoon of batter onto each circle on the iron. You may need to experiment with the amount of batter and baking time depending on the iron. Bake for 20 to 45 seconds, or until steam is no longer coming out of the iron. Carefully remove cookies from the iron. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
  3. For chocolate pizzelles, add 1/4 cup cocoa sifted together with flour and baking powder, 1/4 cup more sugar and 1/4 teaspoon more baking powder. I find that for the chocolate mixture, the iron must be well oiled to start and then brush on more as needed.


No comments: