Monday, May 24, 2010

Life's Mysteries

There are some things in life that will always remain a mystery to me and I will make no attempts to try to understand them. Ignorance is bliss? I am not sure. My list is much more extensive than this but these are the main mysteries that elude me.

1. Cholesterol -Like David Sedaris in "When You Are Engulfed in Flames," once someone starts to discuss cholesterol I check out. My mind starts to wander and the path of least resistance takes over. I think it may have something to do with salt intake and may affect your heart but that is all gathered information from oatmeal commercials. If someone asks me what my level is I will respond with a blank stare.



2. The Stock Market and anything associated with the stock market, i.e. Nasdaq, Dow Jones, Industrial Average, and who is kidding who, decimal numbers in general.- I would say some of the few bits I do understand about the stock market though I am having troubles coming up with anything.



( I love the movie Trading Places, except the Jamie Lee Curtis topless scene. I haven't seen the movie for a while so there may be other scenes that I don't like but that is the one that sticks out to me right now.)

3. Healthcare and any reforms concerning healthcare- I have tried to understand and went as far as to look up podcasts and articles to explain it in layman's terms but still have troubles understanding it all. It is a tricky subject to comprehend (at least for me) because it involves so much history that I am unaware of, so many politics, and such a broad spectrum of needs of the people to be met.




4. NASCAR- Why? Judge me if you will, I just don't understand the appeal.



Let's just add on Tax jargon such as "exemption" and whether or not you can claim this or that, several political issues and add most sports to the list (though I do try and understand them, I just don't know if my brain retains the information).

I was going to add more to the end here though I realized it was just making me feel stupid, so out of self preservation and in order to retain any respect that remains I will end this post here.

No comments: