Monday, July 26, 2010

Keep it Simple

First of all, I think it is worthy to note that I did give my blog a face lift this afternoon. Not for any real reason but just for a change.

Recently I have been thinking about simplicity for a number of reasons. Usually quarterly I go through my closet and clear out things I haven't used or don't really need anymore, and it was about time that I did that so the other day I cleared out several shoes and clothes. Also another reason I have been thinking about simplicity is due to the fact that I will be moving to Los Angeles soon and I need to decide what are necessary items and what I can live without. If all that wasn't enough, the next chapter in my Bible Study book, Celebration of the Disciplines is about the discipline of simplicity.

Our society has a tendency to try and sell us things left and right. The slogans usually allude to not being happy, fulfilled, complete, or adequately equipped without such and such product. One must be conscious of this and learn to be content with less, which I am still trying to master but still have a lot of room for growth.

My birthday is coming up which means I have been (consciously or subconsciously I am not sure) more aware of things I have been wanting for a while. I have also had several people ask me what I want. I realize this is sometimes difficult to buy presents for people when they do not state their desires.

Going along with my desire for simplicity, I would be more than happy with just a card or time spent with you. Also I am trying to raise my funds and more importantly my monthly support for my missions to UCLA, so that would an amazing gift. Though if you insist as some are to buy me a gift I have brainstormed a list of items I wouldn't mind having that are also small that would be easier to pack.



1. As previously mentioned, Monthly financial support for my missions at UCLA.
2. Yoga Eye pillow with lavender and other aromatherapy herbs
3. Pasta Machine
4. Women's Oxford Shoes either camel brown or white preferably
5. Richard Avedon Photography books
6. I love that print found on Day-Lab.com
7. Fujifilm Instax 210- basically the new version of old Polaroid cameras
8. Movies like: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Rainmaker, Sunset Boulevard, Tombstone, or Sherlock Holmes
9. Books like: Orbiting the Giant Hairball, Fist Stick Knife Gun: A Personal History of Violence in America, or Either You're in or You're in the Way
10. Music like: Edward Scissorhands Soundtrack (Danny Elfman score), anything Beirut, anything Iron and Wine

So there you have it, a summed up list of birthday ideas.

P.S. On a more serious different note, I would like to ask for your prayers concerning my family. My aunt has been battling with cancer these past 3 years and it seems as if her time with us is coming to an end. She started dating my uncle in the 9th grade in 1972 and they were married in 1976. They have 2 daughters one of which is 20 years old and has moved her wedding date from September to tomorrow. We are all heartbroken and could really use your prayers of peace, strength and perseverance.

No comments: