Monday, February 22, 2010

Glazed Apple Pork Chops Mmmm

Today while cooking with my grandma we made Greek Spinach Pie and Molten Lava Chocolate Cake. I can't wait to share it with you! It was sooo good. But before I can do that I must do as I previously promised and share with you our Glazed Apple Pork Chops.

The pictures didn't turn out as great as I was hoping and look less appetizing as they really were. I realized pork chops are a bit more difficult to photograph and still maintain appeal. So bare with me on this one.

So here we are ladies and gents...

Glazed Apple Pork Chops
(Note: Generally speaking, I am not really a fan of most pork products except for bacon. Though these were delicious and tender and therefore I like them.)

Step one: Account for all the ingredients (as always)
4 (¾ inch thick) center cut pork chops
salt
¾ cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
4 cups (½ inch thick) peeled sliced cooking apples (Johnathan or Granny Smith)
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. maple flavored syrup
Sprinkle of cinnamon



Step two: Sprinkle pork chops lightly with salt; dredge in flour.



Step three: Put chops in skillet and heat (usually when browning meat on a skillet you want to heat your oil before adding your meat though for some unknown reason it is the opposite for pork chops); brown chops on both sides. Remove chops from skillet; drain off drippings from skillet, reserving 1 Tbsp. In skillet.


(Note: We used an electric skillet because we could control the heat more precisely though a skillet on stovetop works just as well.)

Step four: Return chops to skillet, and top with apples, brown sugar, and syrup. Cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes.



Step five: Eat and ENJOY!



I thought this article was very helpful and interesting concerning cooking with oils in the most healthy way.
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/why-olive-oil-is-bad-for-your-stir-fry-580576/

3 comments:

jori said...

Your pictures of raw meat make my vegetarian self go to war with my cadaver-dissection self... To be honest I think it looks quite cool.
If/when you create your cookbook, I imagine it's going to be so incredibly designed and wonderfully illustrated with your photography. You should sell it on ETSY...

jori said...

(I hope you don't take the suggestion in my previous comment as an insult) (I just wanted to use that word, but now I feel kind of guilty for voluntarily subjecting you to it)

jori said...

OH SHOOT and now I realized I compared perfectly edible, decent food to cadavers, and wholly unintentionally. I'm sorry, that's not how I meant it at all. I'm on a roll. At least out of my stupidity your post will have multiple comments.