Thursday, January 14, 2010

Psalm 46

1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.

5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.

6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

8 Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.

9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields with fire.

10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

11 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

In case you haven't been on the internet, seen a newspaper, watched television or been utterly disconnected from the world in the past week, the country of Haiti has been devastated by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake and several aftershocks. I was called almost immediately after it occurred by a coworker and then was called by several friends and family to see if I heard the news. I immediately turned to CNN and was in complete shock and heart broken as I saw the damage done to my home away from home.






I have gotten word that the Royal Palm Children's Home (in Fond Doux,Haiti where I stayed less than a month ago) had minimal damage and that the children and those associated with the home had only minor injuries. They were about 20-25 miles of the fault line and were hit directly with aftershocks. They are living off of a generator. Poppi and Mark Alain (the Home director and his son) were on their way to Port-Au-Prince when the earthquake hit, but were able to turn around and head back to the children at Royal Palm. As far as I know one man associated with the children's home is still missing, his name is Fred. Please keep Fred in your prayers. *

Please consider how you can help with disaster relief in Haiti. A very respectable organization, Convoy of Hope, is already being very instrumental in bringing aide to Haiti. You can donate to this organization via their website:

http://convoyofhope.org/

“Last night I was laying in bed, trying to process all that had had happened in that first full day since the earthquake. As I was lying there, I could hear the voices of people in the streets. I expected to hear cries of desperation and angst; instead I heard the singing of hymns and lifting prayers.”-Kevin Rose, Convoy of Hope’s Country Director for Haiti


* UPDATE: Fred has been found and is now doing relief in Port-Au-Prince!

No comments: