Monday, January 11, 2010

House Sitting

This weekend I was house sitting for my friend Kim. I watched Frisbee, a cute rambunctious black lab mix. (That's snow on her nose)




During one of the evenings alone, I decided to take Kim's advice and use her glorious Cuisinart to make hummus. I have never made hummus before and had previously asked her for her recipe which she so graciously shared with me. So I will in turn pass this knowledge on to you.

STEP 1:
The ingredients are as follows:
1 can chick peas (drained and rinsed – about 9 ounces of chick peas if you aren’t using beans from a can)
1 clove garlic (or 1 tsp minced garlic)
¼ cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp water (more or less to obtain a smooth consistency)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup tahini
1 tsp salt



STEP 2: Add chick peas and garlic alternately with liquids into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.




STEP 3:Then add the tahini and salt and blend again. (Confession, I had no clue what tahini was and in the jar it looked gross like a muted melted milkshake of some sort. Though after reading the label it is just blended sesame seeds. Huh, who would have guessed?)


STEP 4: After doing dishes (do dishes as soon as possible or they will smell of garlic forever), enjoy!


I personally like hummus with whole wheat pita bread but it is also great with vegetables. mmm good!

NOTE: All photos shown in this post were taken at night. I had to either use the flash which causes unwanted shadows and glares or I had to go with no flash and work with exposure time and color distortion thanks to indoor lighting. Which causes the food to look less appetizing and Frisbee's eyes to look deranged.

P.S. This weekend I also made a wonderful salad with my mom with Roma tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, rosemary, ciabatta bread, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. It was wonderful. Also I bet if you added some vinegar like maybe a balsamic vinegar it would taste great. (This picture to my chagrin was also taken at night. No natural light here. hmph.)

No comments: