Monday, February 16, 2009

Antibiotic Resistance

You know how overusing antibiotics can weed out weaker strains of bacteria and leaves behind stronger and antibiotic resistant bacteria? It is some form of natural selection or survival of the fittest. I think these microorganisms are called superbugs or something. Well I have come to the conclusion that my love-handles and inner thighs are some sort of superbug as well (except that they are certainly not considered microorganisms or microanything). Regardless of how much time I spend on the elliptical machine, how far I ride my bicycle or how many abdominal workouts I do, these areas of my body are unwavering. If I could only have as strong of a will or endurance as these portions of my body...I would be able to accomplish anything.

Not that I have terribly weak will power or drive or anything. Some things just seem daunting. For instance when I attempt to run 3 miles, I sometimes along the way freak out at the idea of running the entire thing and the next thing I know I am completely stationary, breathing heavily and holding my knees. I may pick back up and run exactly where I left off at but the idea of being active the entire time at such an intensity is kind of scary. It's just the same feeling I get when I think of my heart constantly beating from in the womb all the way to death. How long can it hold out for? What if it gets tired and needs a break? These thoughts are disconcerting and in no way helpful.

Another disturbing bit of information I read today (in "The Know-It-All" by AJ Jacobs), is that after the age of twenty, humans lose 50,000 brain cells per day due to atrophy. I have been trying to think of ways to slow this process down...perhaps playing games like suduko, crossword puzzles or memorizing patterns. The only thing is that I suck at suduko and I am even more embarrassing at crossword puzzles. Though I guess I could try to memorize passages of books or the Bible (which would be a win-win situation). I don't know if this would help in slowing down the effects of atrophy or not. Though it isn't like it really matters I guess, it isn't like I am some genius to begin with that needs to preserve precious gray matter. I probably don't even use that many brain cells as it is. Regardless I would like to hold on to as many as possible, in case I should need them.

All of this to say, I have stubborn thighs and unrelenting curves in undesirable areas all while having a deteriorating brain that wasn't too sharp to begin with. Perhaps I still have adolescent ideals and am just now coming to grips with the struggles of becoming older or I am just plain paranoid and impatient. Either way I am still willing to fight this uphill battle until this heart gives out. However I am not anti-aging...I think we should embrace our lives regardless of what stage we are at. Nevertheless I stand by "an ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure."

No comments: